Mother’s Day Flowers

Hello Fellow Cookie Lovers,

I thought I would blog something fun and relatively easy that uses a cutter I know you most likely have on hand.  It’s the “Cupcake” cutter.  If you don’t have one…hmmm…you can basically get one anywhere – Michael’s Craft Store, AC Moore, Target, Walmart, Kmart, etc.  Any cupcake cutter will work.  I happen to have three different cupcake cutters; I’m sure I picked up a couple with some mixed sets I found at thrift stores.  I find it interesting there are so many different types.

Cut and Bake Cookies

I am using all three cutters I have so I can show you that you can basically use any cutter, and, the more the merrier by way of designs you can make.

IMG_2771

I cut two of each cutter style and I will be doing three different designs.

Here are the three cookie shapes baked and ready to go.

MD Cookies Baked

Design and Flood the Cookies

After baking, I take an edible marker and give a quick sketch of what I want to do on each cookie.  I just want to get an overall idea for the initial “flooding” of each cookie.

MD Cookies Outlined

As you can see, I am creating a basket of flowers, a bouquet of flowers, and a terra-cotta pot with flowers.

Next I go ahead and flood the basic shapes onto the cookie.  The colors I used are Ameircolor Brown, Americolor Leaf Green with a bit of Americilor Ivory, and Wilton Copper with a bit of Americolor Ivory and Brown mixed in.  All are in flooding consistency. This is what you should end up with.

MD Cookies Flooded

I wanted a bit more depth to the basket and terra-cotta pots so after letting the first flood dry, I went back in with the same relative colors and added a second layer.  I then let the cookies dry overnight.

MD Cookie Flood Second Layer

At this stage you might be thinking 1) they still look like cupcakes, and/or 2) they look very boring.  Trust me, adding the details will make all of the difference.

Adding the Details

The first of the details I added was dry brushing some brown petal dust onto the terra-cotta pot.  I brushed some under the rim and along the sides of the pots to give it a more textured, worn look.

IMG_2746

Next, I went in with a slightly lighter brown in piping consistency to add the basket weave to the basket.

The next set of details were the flower stems and the petals.  For the basket, I wanted to do a small purple flower that mimicked a violet and so I used a round tip #2 to add some lighter green leaves using a piping consistency icing.

 

IMG_2750

For the bouquet, I added some stems to the bottom and left the top white.  I am going to add an array of flowers to the bouquet and want to see how the overall layout turns out before I add any leaves to the mix.

For the terra-cotta pot, I am going to add African Violets so I went with a larger leaf in the same piping consistency color I have been using.  The leaves of African Violets are darker but the edges tend to be lighter green so I will go in and paint in some darker details later on.

Making and Adding the Flowers

Most of the flowers for this project were done as royal icing transfers using a stiff icing.  The reason I did them as transfers was because I wanted a lot of dimension to the cookies.  You could easily pipe flowers directly onto the cookies (as I did for the small violets), but I feel I always have more control with the design when I do the flowers separately. I’ pretty good at roses, am getting better at violets and daffodils, but I still want to practice more.  But that’s half the fun.  You look back and see how your skill set changes with time.  If you don’t feel confident piping royal icing flowers, the star tips work just as nicely to get a variation of shapes and sizes.

For the basket of violets, I used a #101s tip and piped the flowers directly onto the cookie over the leaves added earlier.  I then went in and added some white dots to both the center of the flowers and the background in between the leaves.

IMG_2772

For the terra-cotta African Violets (below), I used a # 59 tip and made royal icing transfers.  I added a couple of yellow dots to the centers, and, once dry, transferred them to the cookie.

For the bouquet, I made royal icing transfers of the roses and daffodils.  For the orange flowers, I used a star tip and added a yellow dot.

IMG_2773

TIPS USED:

  • African Violets – Tip #59
  • Small Violets – Tip # 101s
  • Roses – Tip #101
  • Daffodils – Tip #59 for the petals, and a round #1 tip for the middle of the flower
  • Orange Flowers – Tip #107

I let the cookies dry for several hours and then it was time to add some additional elements.   I added the ribbon and bows to the flower bouquet.  I outlined the ribbon directly onto the cookie and flooded it. I made royal icing transfers for the bows for the basket and the bouquet.

Final Details

In order to give the cookies a bit more interest, I went in with my paint brush, and the same  food gel colors, and added some shading and details to the leaves and flowers.

And this was the final result. Wha-la – no more cupcakes here Cookie! 😉

Mother's Day Flowers

I hope you enjoyed this post and give the Cupcake Cutter a try.  Let your own imagination run wild, have fun, and most importantly…eat the cookies!!

Your Fellow Cookie Lover,

Diane

Advertisements

One thought on “Mother’s Day Flowers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s